Monday 2 December 2013

Rewriting Radiance - Rashi for Keter/Crown

It's been a while since I posted an update on my Kabbalistic Fantasy novel, Radiance (check out the first draft here), and honestly, it's been a while since I worked on it.

But recently I started working on the final chapter of the book, before the epilogue, that I wrote in the style of Biblical prophecy. While I enjoyed the conceit, and felt like it worked for the novel, I realised that it made the ending quite ambiguous. Rather than offer total clarity however, which seemed to fly in the face of the reason for writing in Biblical style in the first place, I thought I would write a Rashi-style commentary to go along with it, in the best of Jewish traditions.

If you want to read the first draft of this chapter, check it out here. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the beginning of the 10th section of Radiance - Keter/Crown. Rashi commentary begins with the bold words quoting the text:


The word of the Lord came to Asher son of Eliav when he dwelt in the city of New York, saying:

            Thus proclaims the Lord:
       I have waited for you, My people, years I have waited beyond measure;
      And still you stir up My anger against you.
      Why do you sit in silence when My world cries out for justice?
      When My people suffer under the yoke of oppression, why were your words not heard?




    The city of New York: This is not coming to tell us a new word but rather a word that was created at the dawn of time, only now revealed to flesh and blood. Or alternatively, the verse is only coming to tell us where Asher son of Eliav lived, but the prophecy came when he was in the holy land of Israel.

    I have waited for you:
This is what the verse says “The Lord, the Lord, God, merciful and gracious, slow to anger…” (Exodus 34:6).

    My world cries out for justice: This is according to its simple meaning, but according to the legend, in the future to come the earth will open its mouth and say ‘woe to me, that blood has been spilt on my back and it has not been avenged’





    In the holy city of Jerusalem, my chosen warriors rose up for you,
        Declares the Lord of Hosts.
    The remainder of the Seven mighty ones took their stand in the city of David.
    On the mountain of Zion they contended for My honour,
    On the hills of My city they fought for My name.
    Though the pangs of death lapped against them, like waves against the shore,
    The faithful showed neither fear nor terror,
    And planted themselves like the cedar tree, a shelter in the storm.



    My chosen warriors rose up: The ministering angels. The remainder of the Seven: Asher, Li, Mercury and Virgo. Why mighty ones? Because they had conquered their impulses to do evil.

    Like the cedar tree: Thus the verse was fulfilled “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree…” (Psalm 92:12).


    There the Sword met the sorceress, the Sword that Cuts struck the ancient witch.
    She saw her lot in the throw of the bones, her coming future in their carvings,
    And yet the mind is swifter than the spirit, the blade faster than the soul.
    The black cloth was cleansed by blood, washed clean through the death of the wicked one.
    And the strength of God herself knew peace
    But only for a fleeting moment.


    The Sword: This refers to Mercury, who mind was sharp like a sword.

    The sorceress: This is Ov, the one who consulted with spirits of the dead; the ancient witch refers to her familiar spirit, that took the form of a raven. While the raven spirit could not be harmed by flesh and blood, the sword of Mercury cut through bone and spirit alike.

    Cleansed by blood: This is similar to ‘He shall sprinkle some of the blood on it with his finger seven times to cleanse it and consecrate it from the uncleanness of Israel’ (Lev 16:19), as she defiled through blood, she was cleansed by blood.



    And you who witnessed these miracles, how can you be silent?
    And you who saw My mighty deeds, how can you not speak out?
    For the Lord is mighty in His power,
    The Holy One of Israel is strength.


    And there the Staff of Moses met the Angels of Prostitution,
    Naamah, and Lillith, Agrat bat Mahlah, and Eishet Znunim,
    The wives of Samael, the angel of death.
    They met in battle against the sceptre of Israel,
    Strove to break the Staff of Moses.
    In her jealous wrath she spoke My words of fire,
    My words of flame poured from her opened lips.
    Though the jaws of death closed around her,
    Though they closed about her neck itself,
    My words of fire devoured My enemies,
    Like a flame among thorns they perished from my sight.



    The Staff of Moses: Virgo. She was called the Staff of Moses because she slew the serpent, as it says “Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs” (Exodus 7:12) and this is the same as the Staff of Moses.

     The Angels of Prostitution: Alluded to by the verse “Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent” (Proverbs 7:10). When King Solomon the wise regained his throne from the wicked Ashmedai, he spoke against the angels of prostitution, whose power flows from the weakness in the hearts of man. They are licentiousness, speaking gossip, jealousy and baseless hatred. Why are they called Wives of Samael? Because all these things are the fruits of the evil inclination and lead a person to their death.

    My words of fire:Then the Lord rained down burning sulphur” (Genesis 19:24).
    My words of flame: …he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace" (Genesis 19:28). But others say My words of fire refers to “This third I will put into the fire“ (Zechariah 13:9) and My words of flame refers to “I will refine them like silver and test them like gold“ (Ibid.).   



 

   And you who witnessed these great deeds, how can you be silent?
    And you who saw My awesome power, why do you not do what is right?
    Why do the poor go hungry, the stranger and the orphan without bread?
    Do I desire your empty promises?
        Declares God Most High.

1 comment: