Thursday 7 February 2013

Calling from the Heights

Based on a teaching of the Netivot Shalom about this week's torah reading, Mishpatim.

On the heights I called to You
Clung to Your presence and found You waiting,
Wrapped myself deep within the You that is I,
That i that is You,
Immersed, Submerged and Subsumed.

But the moment cannot be sustained.

Every height has its depth,
To every hill a ravine deep and treacherous -
And all things fall.

And in the depths I called to you,
From the valley of death I lifted my voice,
But could not hear You, so loud were my cries in my own ears.

Yet there is a torah of the depths as well as the heights,
Teaching for the fall as well as the rise -
Not given on flaming mountains, thundered through the shofar blast,
but in small voices,
Silent words of solace,
whispered by the wind.

And in the deep I found my rest,
I found my Me that speaks with You.

And when I’m ready to begin once more, I know the mountain will still be there,
Calling from the heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment