Wednesday 23 January 2013

A Dream of a Place - Tu Bishvat, Israel and the Sandman

My latest piece for Jewish Eyes on the Arts - Oholiav is up now in which I explore dreams of places, and touch upon the dark side of mythology: A Dream of A Place - Tu Bishvat, Israel and the Sandman.

In some ways, this article should be read in concert with my earlier post on why mythology matters, because while I believe that mythology is central, it can be abused to demonise the other, casting them in the role of the archetypal evil. This balance is a key part of my current thinking, that although myth is central, it should not be confused with history/reality.

Happy tu bishvat!

2 comments:

  1. Another great post! I hadn't heard that Yerushalmi before - it's quite poetic.

    The living in the past idea reminds me of the old satirical comment that at the start of the Boer War, the British army was ready for the Crimean War; at the start of World War I they were ready for the Boer War and at the start of World War II they were ready for World War I. Given that we learn from experience, it can be hard to understand when fundamental realities have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daniel.

    I think we're always struggling with fighting the previous battle instead of the current one - in war as in politics as in relationships.

    ReplyDelete